Monday 13 January 2014

GRAPHICS PATHWAY - WAYFINDING & MAPPING PROJECT

For this project we were tasked with trying to find a new and fresh way of mapping and wayfinding a particular location. We only had a week for this brief therefore ideas generation and development had to occur quickly. I choose to map out Greenwich park in a new way. Initially, I highlighted all the most significant landmarks, roads and points of interest of the park. I also researched a little into the history and heritage of the park for instance what it is known/famous for. Using an existing map I played around with the shape of the park and sketched its layout in some different ways.




Following this I found some patters in the layout and found it was quite linear. This immediately made me think of star constellations, I decided to research to see if there were any start constellations that had a similar layout to Greenwich Park and there were a few. I thought this was a good idea because in the context of the Royal Observatory in that it was unique to the park's astronomical heritage. After some further research I found the Phoenix and Cepheus constellations which both had similar layouts however the Cepheus constellation was nearly identical. I therefore decided to run with the Cepheus constellation and researched it further.



I then made some comparisons with the constellation and looked for the patterns in the park, marked in red pen. From this I used Illustrator to create my final idea or piece which consisted of the Cepheus constellation in the background with the mapping of the parks points of interest and entrances in relation to the starts, for instance Errai = Blackheath Gate and so on. I found this worked well and the white stood out from the background well. I used Arial font initially but on reflection it was a safe choice and lacked a bit of interest, it was fairly plain in relation to the rest of the imagery. I think in future I will experiment with different fonts a bit more. In addition I and others felt that I could increased the size of the piece to allow more space for the text and imagery to work as the general view was that it was a little cramped and some of the text sizing was disproportional.

Final piece/idea roughly an A2 square
Imagery - Author's Own 12/01/14

No comments:

Post a Comment