Friday 13 September 2013

FASHION ROTATION - FINAL GARMENT

After much design work and development of some simple ideas and concepts, we began to construct our final garments. The first step for me was to create a base hat that could fit comfortably and allow me to stick on and build on in layers, it was a shape similar to a lamp shade. This was made using brown paper and sellotape which was very flimsy so I used strips of cardboard to support the internal structure. I then began cutting various different triangle shapes and began sticking and layering them onto the base with a hot glue gun. I focused on creating different geometric shapes and masking the original structure of the base. I completed this task comfortably within the time limit which meant that my design was quite simple so I fine-tuned the circumference of the headpiece so that it fit well on my model. I found the fashion rotation to be quite enlightening overall, although I don't want to do fashion now or in the future, I warmed to the task because I wanted to create something aesthetically pleasing and put my time and effort into it. I think my design progressed well however I found the initial stages of designing a garment to be difficult as I have a limited knowledge of general fashion.

Cut out cardboard triangle pieces ready to be stuck onto the base headpiece
Internal structure of the headpiece, made mostly from brown paper and cardboard supports.

Final completed headpiece
Birds-eye view of the headpiece

View of the external structure. I focused on layering the triangles randomly to give the headpiece multiple different angles and ways to wear it, there is no front or back.

No comments:

Post a Comment