Friday 6 September 2013

TIMELINE, REFLECTION AND SELECTION

Today we effectively downloaded all of our memories and thoughts of the week including museum visits and object burials onto paper as a warm up. Following this we selected and edited our most memorable moments or occasions throughout the week and created a timeline which could incorporate any media and take a 3D or 2D form. Inspired by Luke Pearson's display of small pen and ink illustrations at the Memory Palace, I chose to create a cubic comic book timeline that flowed across A1 paper telling a story of my trips to the museums, my journey, the atmosphere and the people I met the previous day. I found this played to my strengths as I am comfortable with sketching and therefore created a series of small memories that make a story or development of events. I then began to use lines to connect different areas of the timeline to others that had a connection or link, and after I used pieces of the Memory Palace leaflet and the V&A map to create small collages around the timeline.


The initial warm up where ideas and recollections were jotted down similar to a mind map to provide a starting point and draft for the final timeline.
The size of the box indicated the significance of a memory, big boxes indicate the more poignant and clear, small boxes indicate the less memorable and important.


Each box was measured in cm using a ruler, this was a time-consuming part of the timeline but I believe it was worthwhile in what I was trying to convey, size of the memory, storage etc.

Part of the collage using materials gathered on that day for example the museum map and leaflets 

The finished timeline which illustrates a long journey, a story or a series of memories from the day depending on how I or my audience want to interpret it. The lines connect boxes that have significant links and each box varies in size depending on how well I remember that particular point in time.
Tools used to create the timeline include a graded ruler, felt tip pen and 2H pencil for the finer lines and harder, more precise edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment