Tuesday 8 October 2013

LENS BASED MEDIA ROTATION - DECONSTRUCTION OF A PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGE

Today was all about photography and ways to manipulate what we see through a camera lens to what we interpret on paper. Using a collection of some of my own images taken from my home and around my local area I enlarged and drew different sections from my images blown up on a A1. This final drawn image incorporated my headphones on  top of my Toshiba laptop, my local bus stop pole and my view from the upper deck of a bus all drawn in roughly an hour.

We then had to find ways to manipulate the photo by cropping individual sections of the whole piece to create a new meaning  To do this, we used paper viewfinders and cameras to isolate certain parts of the drawing. With this task, I found it helped if you had a ,lot to look at in your drawing otherwise you couldn't really find points of interest, with mine I struggled a bit however with some patience I could pick out some points of interest.


This is my A1 drawing of three different images combined 
into one significant memory  I used a range of different 
pencils to achieve the shading however I feel it is 
not complete yet.

These are the cropped images taken from my final drawing using the camera to isolate certain areas. I focused initially on the figures in my piece. I wanted to change their stance by flipping the perspective and zooming into their profiles which separates them from the other components of the composition.





Here the originally flat 'Toshiba' logo appears to be on a wall due to the perspective at which I took the photo from. I like the way it appears to stand up on its own rather than sit flat on the page.
A section of pencil markings I found quite interesting, with the macro
 setting on my camera I zoomed into the marks made whilst shading
 and now the image has an ambiguous quality and  takes on a
different form
Again with this image I played around with the perspective of the shot and ended up enlarging quite a small part of the original drawing. The bus stop appears to rise up and give the illusion of height and width although on the full size drawing it is quite small. I enjoy experimenting with the size of text as often size indicates significance within  a piece therefore changing it has noticeable effect.
A section of the headphones which again maybe at first I
wouldn't recognise but on reflection you realise after
what it is. This was the affect I was going for.
Images - Author's Own 07/10/13

No comments:

Post a Comment